24 December 2007

A new look at Sarah's home turf

The sites I visited today were repeat visits. However, with a different weather, they were much more marvelous.

After a morning trip to Sacramento, and stopping in San Francisco's Castro district on my way back, I headed for Oceana High again. The campus was as run down as ever, but I was greeted by glorious sunshine and great ocean views, something that had eluded me in my previous visits. How would teenage Sanford feel on a rare sunny day here, like today? Will it help his spirits, and make the schooling a bit more bearable?

Oceana's blue theming comes alive today thanks to the sunshine. I didn't spend too much time here, as I had explored the campus before. But to be here again in sunshine, was a reminder of how Sanford would feel on those rare sunny days.

Pacifica coastline as seen from nearby Skyline College. This is the beautiful setting that teenage Sanford comes of age in.

Even the athletic fields of Skyline College are glorious today.
I don't think those homes in the background would have existed when Sarah was a student here; they look too new to have been around in 1995-1997.

Skyline College entrance. I need to write some more scenes of Sarah's early womanhood, happening right here.

San Francisco International Airport, as seen from Pacifica's Skyline Boulevard (Route 35).
Sarah and her parents would've lived in one of these nondescript homes somewhere nearby.
The airport is again a setting for Sarah's life, as she starts working at United Airlines' hub there in 1999.

And sure enough, Pacifica is in the flight path of departing 747s, as Sanford/Sarah describes so well. In fact, as I was taking this photo, a Lufthansa 747 flew over my head; I had thought only Asia-bound flights fly over Pacifica, and I was wrong.

I am headed for Berkeley tonight, to attend the Christmas service at Sarah's church. I may also hit the airport itself tomorrow morning, before starting my journey back south. The Bay Area was wonderful to me this weekend, and I will surely miss being here. At least I have some new perspectives and views to remember - and incorporate into Sarah's story.

No comments: