23 June 2010

A Sarah moment


My decision to portray Sarah as a gorgeous redhead was purely a practical consideration - to ensure that her teenage years would be as miserable as possible.

My original intent had been to portray Sarah as being boycrazy, but eventually my own experiences had to play a role - and Sarah evolved into a hardcore lesbian.

I've always known that Sarah was to be a flight attendant for United Airlines. And its elite passenger lounge, as shown above at Los Angeles International Airport, is known as the Red Carpet Club, something I had known for ages as a United customer.

Though putting all these pieces together, and also considering that I have been promoting "carpetmunching" as a political movement to counter the "teabagging" of the Tea Party Movement, the name Red Carpet Club is suddenly looking like a double-entendre involving Sarah's private quarters.

As scheduled, I flew United to New Orleans and back over Memorial Day weekend, and the photo was taken at the beginning of my trip. On this particular day, United logistics were in a total meltdown, and I was almost regretting my airline choice - the only good thing being that I had used a $150 credit from last year's Toronto trip and its own United goofup. But the rest of the experience went well - I got automatic first class upgrades both ways, without having to ask or cough up miles, just for being an elite customer, and the purser on the return flight was outstanding, single-handedly making sure that United would continue to earn my business - and that Sarah will continue to get paid.

5 comments:

PoozyBear said...

Hi Rach! Hope you're doing well and making progress on the novel. I really just dropped by to show off my NOH8 photo, taken by the wonderful Adam Bouska at the Hollywood Methodist open shoot. What a great day I had, meeting lots of straight and LGBT people united for equality. Hugs, Kathy.

Rachel said...

Kathy, I'm not making too much progress, but I love that NOH8 photo of yours!

Are you back in Hollywood for good, or still stuck in Tucson? Speaking of Tucson, I was there in March - and I have to say, it was as depressing as the day I left it.

Rach

Rachel said...

Kathy, I'm not making too much progress, but I love that NOH8 photo of yours!

Are you back in Hollywood for good, or still stuck in Tucson? Speaking of Tucson, I was there in March - and I have to say, it was as depressing as the day I left it.

Rach

PoozyBear said...

Still in Tucson, but the end is near. I was making a lot of trips back and forth trying to sell that ball-and-chain rental property, and it did finally sell (closed yesterday). Stuck here for a few more months while Dave is having some medical treatments, but we've already started house hunting and are ready to get out of here ASAP.

I'm living in a bit of a bubble right now, barely leaving the house, not watching local television. Just don't want to see the McCain ads or Jan Brewer's face on anything. Trying to take advantage of the time by writing, pushing to get the "shitty first draft" done.

I honestly can't believe the crap that's going on in Arizona. The NOH8 shoot was a much needed moment for me. Can't get out of here fast enough. "Dry heat" my ass. It's a dry HATE.

Rachel said...

Kathy, glad that you are moments away from leaving. We need to talk and brainstorm once you are back to California!