28 January 2007

Time to be more of a reader

I haven't made progress on my novel this month.

And honestly, I think the biggest stumbling block for me is my writing techniques - as a non-native English speaker, I have my limits.

I decided that the best I can do is to be more of a reader, by reading other people's novels and stories as much as I can. I have quite a few books in my personal library that I haven't even touched yet.

The goal is to pick up their writing styles, see what works, see what doesn't work, and go from there. And with my mentors being the authors of some of the books on my to-read list, I'll be able to correspond with them and ask questions on what they were thinking as they wrote their works. After all, my mentors are my best resources, especially when I am not taking classes, and I want to take advantage.

No comments: